Have fun developing your personal color palette and style while learning my unique approach to kaleidoscope design and pendant construction.
Experience Level: Intermediate caning experience.
Topics will Include:
- Selecting a color palette you love for your master cane
- Color mixing to achieve color harmony and strong value contrast within your selected palette
- Ways to modify/control your clay for better caning results
- Applying a painterly approach to component cane design (using new and old Skinner Blend techniques)
- Component cane types, ranging from simple to detailed, and how to construct them(level of difficulty and types of canes will depend upon interest and experience of participants)
- Strategies for complex cane design (how to use different cane types to create rhythm, balance, emphasis, contrast and flow in the master cane)
- Slicing the cane with the “Simmons Slicer”
- Information on how to store/transport/handle the slices.
- Making and using angle templates
- Combining sections of slices to produce a wide variety of beautiful, unique but coordinated designs
- Creating base forms from scrap clay
- Applying veneers to base forms
- Finishing a pendant (making holes, firing, sanding, buffing)
- If there is time and interest, finishing a coordinating adjustable cord and earring construction techniques will also be demonstrated.