This is a continuation of the previous post Building a Master Cane: Thinking it Through.
Some of the things I didn’t like about the original design were
- There were colors that didn’t belong.
- The arrangement lacked rhythm; it was more of a hodgepodge than a design consisting of interrelated parts.
- There wasn’t enough value (light/dark) contrast within some of the canes.
- There wasn’t enough value (light/dark) contrast between some of the neighboring canes.
The first thing I dealt with was the color issue. I had been lazy and incorporated some canes left over from a previous project. These canes are marked with an “x” in the picture.They just didn’t fit: The leaves were more olivey and desaturated than the rest of the cane and the blue had a lot of black in it and thus was too shaded to go with the others. As much as it hurt to take a step “backward,” I took those canes out. I also took out the large trumpet shaped cane in the middle because I didn’t think it had enough value contrast.
At this point I started fresh, with new slices of the remaining canes, so it is “goodbye” to the above arrangement. In the next post I’ll write about my modifications to some of the remaining canes and show you some of the new canes I added (and explain why). I’ll also show you my first efforts to create a more rhythmic design.